Today we have a recipe of a very delicious and light textured cupcakes with a white chocolate ganache.
Red velvet is a tender and moist sponge (biscuit) with a touch of cacao. It should have mouth melting texture and a nice reddish or red colour.
To the white chocolate ganache we will add some Amaretto liquor and praline, it will take it to the next level!
Here is the recipe:
For the Red Velvet cupcakes batter (for appx. 8 cupcakes):
- 100 g cake flour
- 6 g cacao (if you have a raw cacao – it’s better)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 whole medium egg
- 80 g white sugar
- 25 g glucose syrup (or golden syrup, inverted syrup)
- 100 g cream fraiche
- 2,5 g baking powder
- red food colouring
- a pinch of powdered cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
Directions for the batter:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (374°F)
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Scale the ingredients accurately.
- Place the butter, the sugar and salt in the mixing bowl, cream the mixture at medium speed until the it is light and fluffy. This will take appx. 7-8 minutes.
- Add the glucose (warm), mix well.
- Add the egg (at room temperature), mix well to blend it in completely.
- Add the cream fraiche, mix well.
- Add some red food colouring. The quantity depends on the desired colour.
- Combine the flour, the cacao, the baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl, mix together and sift.
- Add one-third of the sifted dry ingredients to the batter, mix just until blended in. Than add the rest of the dry ingredients in two steps. Mix just until blended in, do not overmix the batter.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally for even mixing.
- Put the batter in a pastry bag with cutted corner.
Baking the red velvet cupcakes:
Prepare a baking pan, place paper cases (moulds) on it.
Fill the cases with the batter for two-thirds.
Bake at 190°C (374°F) for 15-20 min., the exact time depends on the oven and the size of your cupcakes. Perform a toothpick test to check if the cupcakes are baked.
Ingredients for the white chocolate ganache with Amaretto:
- 60 ml heavy cream (min 35%)
- 0.5 sheet of gelatin
- 100 g white chocolate
- 25 g praline
- 130 ml heavy cream (min 35%),cold
- 2-3 tbsp of Amaretto
Directions for the ganache:
- Place the half of gelatin sheet in a cold water.
- Heat the white chocolate to 45°C (113°F) to melt it (in a double boiler or in a microwave but with caution).
- Add the praline and mix well to blend it in.
- Bring the 60 ml of cream to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Add the squeezed gelatin to the cream. Mix well.
- Pour the cream into the chocolate, mix well until completely blended.
- Add the 130 ml of cream. Mix well.
- Add the Amaretto, the exact quantity depends on your taste, but please keep in mind, that significant volumes will affect the texture of the ganache.
- Cover with a plastic film and send to a fridge for 5-6 hours minimum.
- When completely cold, whip the ganache until creamy, but be careful not to overwhip it.
Decorating the red velvet cupcakes:
Put the ganache in a pastry bag with a rose tip and pipe the cream on top of each cupcake.
Sprinkle the cupcakes with finely chopped nuts, some grated chocolate and edible glitter (optional).
More Pastry Recipes: