Today we are going to prepare a very easy, but absolutely delicious light summer cake.
You can use these sponge with almost any seasonal fruits and berries of your choice, and it will be as great as this one, so save the recipe!
So, light and soft cake with sweet cherries, almonds and a pinch of spices, here is the recipe:
Ingredients for the batter:
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 60 g brown sugar
- 60 g white sugar
- 120 g cake flour (sifted)
- 2 whole eggs (at room temperature, large)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mix of spices (cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, vanilla or of your choice)
- a pinch of salt
- 200 g sweet cherries (I took fresh ones)
Directions for the cake batter:
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Lightly grease the interior of a baking mold with butter, place it in a fridge.
- Wash the cherries, dry them with a paper towel, then chop in halves and remove the pits.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ground spices, and salt together.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the mixture on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and several drops of vanilla essence and mix until completely blended in. Scrap the sides of the bowl.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix for a few seconds until incorporated. Add the other half of the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking mold and spread it out evenly.
- Place the cherry halves on the top and press them slightly.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake for around 40 minutes, until golden brown and baked.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature and demold.
Serving and storage
The cake is great as is, at room temperature, but you can always heat a piece and serve it with vanilla ice cream as an option!
It can be stored covered with glass or plastic dome for 2-3 days outside the fridge.
More Pastry Techniques and Recipes: