Today we have an easy and quick recipe, in less than an hour you’ll get a very delicious cake, it has an intensive chocolate flavour, very moist and soft.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients for the batter:
- 120 g cake flour (sifted)
- 25 g pure cacao
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 120 g brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs (at room temperature, large)
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 125 g of greek yogurt (not sweet, warm)
- vanilla essence
- 200 g of cherry (I used fresh)
Directions for the cake batter:
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Lightly grease the interior of a baking mold with butter, and place it in a fridge.
- Wash the cherries, chop them in halves and remove the pits.
- Sift the flour, cacao, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Beat the eggs with sugar to white soft peaks.
- Add the yogurt, mix a bit, add several drops of vanilla essence, olive oil, and honey, and mix until completely blended in. Scrap the sides of the bowl.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix for a few seconds until incorporated. Add the other half of the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking mold (I used a rectangular mold, appx. size 25×15 cm) and spread it out evenly.
- Place the cheery halves on the top, and press them slightly.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar and some cinnamon
- Bake for around 25 minutes, until baked.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature and then demold it.
Serving and storage
The sponge is very light, moist, and soft at room temperature, serve it as is or with some whipped cream as an option.
It can be stored covered with glass or plastic dome for 2-3 days outside the fridge. Or 5-6 days in a fridge.
More Pastry Techniques and Recipes: